Sunday, July 29, 2012

July

Once the first of July came around I felt like I'd made it through the toughest part of the move. The work of unpacking and the time to get to know my way around (which I'll still be doing for a while) was behind me. I was feeling less anxiety and more familiar with my surroundings every day. I was expecting that there would be an adjustment period and I know for me it wasn't too difficult but I did experience a lot of anxiety those first few weeks. The stress of moving and the feelings of loneliness all added to those anxious feelings that come from being in completely new surroundings. Sometimes I had to laugh at myself when I really thought about what I'd done- moving to a new place, by myself, where I didn't know even one person. But I’m glad I’m here. I really do feel at home here in this area. There is something about the location that feels like I belong here. When my head gets in the way of that and I start over thinking things I just take a walk or go on a hike and get back to the basics. For me, being in nature is the best way to feel grounded and calm myself.
By the first of July, I’d met a couple of my neighbors. One neighbor who lives down the street, Kelly, I met at a Britt performance one night (Melssa Etheridge). Kelly invited me over the next evening to join her and her husband and some friends for cocktails. I have met several people since then, but Kelly is still one of my favorite. She is one of the sweetest people I think I’ve ever met.
Here are some photos from the 4th of July celebration in Ashland, OR at Lithia park:


They had a great band playing patriotic music

These are real people - they look like statues until they moved and changed positions.

No comments:

Post a Comment